Friday, March 7, 2014

Attack on Titan: Killing Naked Giants Can Be Fun

Since I posted about Baby Metal, I might as well keep the Japanese theme today and blog about my new favorite Anime series Attack on Titan. I'm not a huge fan of Anime as a rule. Sure I like all of the stuff we watched as kids, Robotech, Voltron, Battle of the Planets, etc, but I don't really enjoy the rest of what Anime has to offer. I heard about Attack on Titan somewhere on the internet. It's based on a very popular Manga in Japan. It sounded interesting so I gave it a try. It's currently streaming on Netflix. I'm only about have way through the series, but so far I'm really enjoying it. The story takes place in the future, with humans being forced to wall themselves inside a huge walled city to protect them from man eating giants with creepy perma-grins. The giants are super creepy. They're all naked (no genitals though), with super creepy dead eyes and disturbing grins.
They shamble slowly, with "unique" titans popping up from time to time. The "uniques" have different abilities and intelligence levels. The story revolves around a group of kids that train to defend the city from the Titans threat. It does get a little annoying from time to time, especially when the characters are screaming at each other. It's in Japanese with english subtitles, so sometimes it's hard to read and follow the on-screen action. The series has lots of twists and turns, which keeps it fun and surprising. Apparently in Japan there are video games based on the Manga version of this and a live action movie is being made. I'm sure if this gets popular enough in the U.S., a movie studio will make a terrible, watered down American version.


No comments:

Post a Comment