Monday, March 10, 2014

Lighthouse Tofu: The Food Adventure Continues

My adventures with food continues, as I head to Lighthouse Tofu and try some of Korea's finest cuisine. Unlike my trip eating Bahn Mi, Korean food doesn't have a sandwich option, at least not at Lighthouse Tofu. To set the scene, my fiancĂ©, myself and two of her out of town friends sauntered into this eatery in Annandale, three of the four very excited. Can you guess which one was a little leery? Lighthouse Tofu is kind of a hole in the wall. If you weren't looking for it, you'd probably go right by it. We were greeted warmly and seated. I looked over the menu, they seemed to have the same info on both sides. I had prepared myself for the meal by doing some pre game research. While most of the meals were unusual to me I honed in on one thing that I knew would work, Korean Short Ribs. We placed our orders and my pals happily rubbed their bellies in anticipation. They happily slurped down the free tea and chatted. I sat and waited, hoping I wouldn't look like a foreign food scaredy cat. Then the food started to come out. Plate after plate of pickled vegetables came to the table. Soon, the table was covered in tons of alien looking food that I wasn't about to try. 















Why? Because I might die instantly upon consumption. I realize it's ridiculous, but I'm a very important person and I can't take any chances. Anyway, my friends enjoyed all of the Korean delights and happily powered everything down. Then the main dishes arrived, well except for me, but I'll get to that. Three bubbling cauldrons of "stuff" came out, and was placed in front of each of my open minded friends. 



















They dove in and started to enjoy the deliciousness. I sat there, like the asshole I am, head in hands, waiting for my food. This was maybe the worst first impression you can make as an eater. My fiancee Sarah knew my pickiness, but her friends that I was meeting for the first time, were unaware. So there I sat as everyone enjoyed their dinners. Where were my ribs? Was this some kind of Korean plot to make me look silly? Could they tell I was out of my element and they were laughing at me from the kitchen? So many questions. Finally, my ribs came out. And they were good, I mean really good. Worth the wait and looking like an ugly American asshole good. 
















I don't know about the pickled veggies and the cauldron of tofu and the other stuff, but my ribs were awesome! So there you have it, put it on the board. I have mastered Korean cuisine. What's next, Afghan or Ethiopian? Who knows, but I will master all of the worlds cuisines, or at least find one thing on the menu as close to the garbage I enjoy and hold onto that. Bon Appetite!

1 comment:

  1. If you're going to go for korean, what you need to find is a place that serves dolsot bibambap. Dolsot is a stone bowl that they cook and serve in, bibambap is just some awesome tasting beef. When you order dolsot bibambap, they bring you a sizzling stone bowl fresh off the fire that has been filled with rice, various pickled veggies that are not offensive (think either pickled or sauteed mushrooms, spinach, bean sprouts and carrots), a smattering of bibambap beef and it's all topped off with a fried egg that is generally very runny and loose.

    You break up the yoke, stir everything up, wait for it to cool down and just shovel it in. Then the best part is at the end of the meal, there are all these crusty bits of rice stuck to the bowl that you scrape off and eat. It's korean comfort food.

    ReplyDelete