Monday, March 3, 2014

Bahn Mi and Me


















So I’m what you would call a picky eater. I like the ordinary, boring menu of hamburgers, pizza, tacos, you know, healthy stuff. So imagine my horror when I was taken to eat Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwiches. Now I’m a good sport, I’ll go along with just about anything. And usually I can find something to eat anywhere. So as we pulled into the Eden Center in Falls Church, VA, I was a bit apprehensive. We found our way into the Song Que Deli http://songquedeli.com and I was greeted by a variety of new food items. I’m sure they saw my naïve whiteness from a mile away as I attempted to identify what I was seeing. My fiancée and the crew I was with were very patient with me as I pointed at things and said, “What’s that?” and “is that edible.” I was introduced to Jackfruit and Durian shakes (although none of us had the balls to try one of those, yet), and crazy shakes with bubbles. My cohorts ordered Vietnamese coffees hand over fist, savoring the sweet caffeinated flavors. I surveyed the menu and found a Bahn Mi sandwich I thought I would enjoy, Bahn Mi Xiu Mai, #4, or Vietnamese Meat Ball. 












The sandwich comes in the best crusty sub roll I think I’ve ever had. The bread alone was worth the trip. It’s a pretty simple sandwich. Meatballs, pickled veggies, jalapeños and onions were loaded inside the roll. Now, I might have picked off all of the veggies and enjoyed just a meatball sub. The vegetables did leave a nice flavor that I enjoyed without having to deal with my strange vegetable texture aversion. The whole experience was a lot of fun and I’m going to make sure I go back so I can try everything, because unfortunately, Song Que will only be around until October, in its current state. So I have to find time to try a coffee or a shake with bubbles, or the feared Durian shake. So make sure you check Song Que out and maybe it’ll stay around past October.

1 comment:

  1. Duder, there's a place right up 50 a mile or so from there called DC Sandwich that deserves your attention. It's my go-to for Bahn Mi, bubble smoothies and all that junk. Buy four (or five?) sandwiches and get one free. It's my JUNK!

    ReplyDelete